It is the Company’s Policy that no seafarer, whatever rank, will navigate the vessel or will operate its equipment while impaired by drugs or alcohol or where there is any risk of such impairment.
In following this Policy, the Company:
• Has banned any form of drug, with the exception of prescribed drugs as well as the misuse of legitimate drugs.
• Has banned the possession of hard alcoholic beverages and liquor, i.e. brandy, vodka, whisky, etc. onboard, as well as the possession of alcohol in the cabins.
• Has implemented random testing of all crew for banned substances and alcohol.
• Controls the use of all medical supplies on board the managed vessels.
• Will dismiss and impose penalty, as per National and International regulations, to anybody:
- using alcohol or banned substances on board the vessel;
- caught in possession of alcohol or banned substances;
- found to have been instrumental in bringing alcohol or banned substances on board;
- found to have a positive trace in any random testing sample, unless prior notice with
authorization for use, had been given to the Master.
• On no account shall a person under the influence of drugs or alcohol, be allowed to stand watch or perform any other duty, involving the safety of the vessel, her crew or cargo, and the public.
• Will take all disciplinary actions, including dismissal, against anybody consuming alcohol, while onboard and ashore, for at least 4 hrs prior scheduled watchkeeping duties or work period.
• Any crew member suspected for being under the influence of drugs or alcohol, while on duty, shall be immediately relieved from his duty and placed under observation until the influence of drugs or alcohol subsides.
• All crew members understand that it is their duty and benefit, to report immediately to the appropriate Officer or the Master, if they suspect or have evidence that one of their fellow crew members is intoxicated.
• The use of alcohol on the part of the pilot while performing his duties is strictly prohibited; if a pilot is noticed to be under the influence of substances resulting to the incapability of performing his duties will not be allowed to be part of the bridge team.
• Requires all new recruits, prior their embarkation, to undergo a Drug and Alcohol medical examination test.
• All crew members are adequately informed on the provisions of this Policy, are familiar with them and comply with their intent.